Recipe by Fuzzy's Finds
Received this in an email and want to save where I can find it later. Brats and onions slow-cooked 6-8 hours with beer; sauerkraut is stirred into onions at the end to keep it crisp.
- 453.59 g onion, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rings
- 59.14 ml soy sauce
- 29.58 ml packed brown sugar
- 1133.98 g bratwursts (10 sausages)
- 709.77 ml beer (Budweiser or other light Am. lager recommended)
- 59.14 ml Dijon mustard, plus extra for serving
- 2.46 ml caraway seed
- 236.59 ml sauerkraut
- 10 hoagie rolls
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine onions, soy sauce, and sugar in bowl and microwave until just softened, about 5 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking. Spread onions and their liquid in bottom of slow cooker. Arrange bratwursts in single layer on top of onions.
- Whisk beer, mustard, and caraway seeds together in bowl and add to slow cooker. Cover and cook until bratwursts are tender, 6 to 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- Transfer bratwursts to platter and tent loosely with aluminum foil. Stir sauerkraut into onion mixture in slow cooker and let sit until warmed through, about 5 minutes. Strain onion-sauerkraut mixture through colander, discarding liquid, and transfer to serving bowl. Serve bratwursts on rolls, topped with onion-sauerkraut mixture and mustard.