Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Clipped this from a grocery store sales flyer. Have not made it yet.
- 6 cups sweet onions, thinly sliced (about 1 2/3 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 lbs round roast or 2 lbs steak, trimmed of all fat
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup beef broth
- Stir together onions, garlic, sugar, thyme, salt, and black pepper in bottom of a large slow cooker.
- If necessary, cut beef to fit into slow cooker.
- Pat beef dry with clean paper towels and place on top of onions.
- Mix vinegar and broth together and pour over onions and beef.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Slice beef across the grain.
- Spoon onions atop sliced beef.
What a wonderful recipe this is. Our roast beef was perfectly cooked and seasoned. We really enjoyed all the flavors in this tasty dish. It was so easy to throw together, 8 hours later, the house smelled incredible and we had the best comfort meal around. The meat and onions were so flavorful and tender. I will be making this one again. Thanks for sharing. Made for Pac Spring Safari 2013.
I'm making this as we speak i did everything like it said and I don't know why but it has no flavor. So I started adding BBQ sauce, hoisin sauce and adobo and it seems to have flavor now.
My roast was about three pounds but I left all the ingredients the same. My husband loved the onions in this and I liked it but I thought the vinegar was a bit strong. Next time I would cut it in half. I only cooked my roast for six hours and it was perfect for us.