8 hrs 15 mins
This almost-effortless, slow-cooker soup will be something you will love to come home to after work or wherever! I got the original recipe from Campbells and made a few minor changes to suit our tastes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes (I actually like to use sirloin steak)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 large onions, chopped (I only use 2 large onions when adding cabbage)
- 2 cups green cabbage (chopped or shredded, can use more)
- 12 small red potatoes, cut into quarters
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (can use more)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee crystals
- 4 cups beef broth
- salt, to taste
- sour cream (optional)
- chopped green onion (optional)
- 1Season beef with black pepper and coat with flour.
- 2Heat oil in skillet.
- 3Add beef and cook until browned.
- 4Place onions, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, garlic and thyme in slow cooker.
- 5Top with browned beef.
- 6Mix tomato paste, coffee and 1 cup broth, making sure tomato paste is dissolved.
- 7Pour coffee mixture and remaining broth into slow cooker.
- 8Cover and cook on LOW 8-10 hours or until done.
- 9I add salt at the end to suit our taste and stir well.
- 10Serve with sour cream and chopped green onions, if desired.
- 11Notes: You can also use lower sodium or certified organic beef broth in place of the regular beef broth.
- 12I also save time by buying meat that has already been cut into cubes. Sometimes I still have to cut the cubes smaller, though.
- 13I also cut the vegetables the night before to save prep time in the morning.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooker Beef & Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (532 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 464.1
- Calories from Fat 170
- Total Fat 18.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 59.3 mg
- Sodium 385.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 22.2 g