Recipe by CHEF GRPA
Beef, condensed golden mushroom soup, chopped onion, and Worcestershire sauce simmer in a slow cooker for easy beef stroganoff. Its all about personal opinions and tastes. **See My Note: UPDATE below.
- 1 lb cubed beef stew meat
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 4 ounces cream cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. In a slow cooker, combine the meat, soup, onion, Worcestershire sauce and water.
- 2. Cook on Low setting for 8 hours, or on High setting for about 5 hours. Stir in cream cheese just before serving.
- My Note: (1) add salt, pepper, and garlic, (2) double the sauce but keep the cream cheese and worcestershire the same, (3) use Golden Mushroom, not Cream of Mushroom or don't make this at all, (4) reduce the cooking time to about 5-6 hours on low, (5) add a "dollup" of sour cream when you add the cream cheese to get an extra "tang", (6) add a bullion cube, (7) add a half packet of onion soup mix, (8) serve over egg noodles, (9) add sauteed mushrooms about 1/2 an hour before serving. I know this isn't true to the original recipe, but I trusted others and I think it helped. Great slow-cooker recipe. I froze the leftovers (egg noodles and all) in my Seal-a-Meal and then just boiled the bag to reheat. It was great the second time around!
- Make sure you do 5 things, however: 1. Use "Condensed Golden Mushroom" soup. The regular Cream of Mushroom doesn't have the larger pieces of mushrooms. 2. Substitute 1/4 cup beef broth for 1/4 water. 3. Use 4 oz. sour cream instead of cream cheese. 4. Add 1/2 t. pepper for a tiny little (but necessary) kick. 4. Just before adding the sour cream, mix 1 T. corn starch with 2 T. cold water, then add this mixture to stroganoff. This gives it the necessary extra thickness. I do like to play, so I did.
- **UPDATE: I am going to make this short and sweet. The recipe that is posted originally is really only a 1 star meal to me. After all the adjustments, substitutions, etc . its 5 star fabulous. I have taken all the suggestions and advice from all the reviews from the Family and created this: INGREDIENTS 2 pound cubed beef stew meat or chuck roast 2 (10.75 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup 3/4 cup chopped onion 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce 1/4 cup water (more if needed) 1/4 cup low sodium beef stock (more if needed) 1/3 cup sour cream 2 ounces cream cheese (reduced fat works well) 1/2 pack French onion soup mix Salt and pepper, to taste 3 cloves garlic, minced 8oz. mushrooms, sliced Pat of butter DIRECTIONS 1. In slow cooker, combine meat, mushroom soup, chopped onions, minced garlic, Worcestershire, dry soup mix, pepper, stock and water. 2. Cook on low setting for 5-6 hours. 3. During cooking time, saute the mushrooms in butter about 4 minutes 4. Put sauteed mushrooms in slow cooker last 30 minutes of cooking time 5. Check sauce if it needs salt or extra pepper. 6. Best served over buttered egg noodles. I think this came out fantastic. But again, its all about personal opinions and tastes. Let me know how this works out for you.