Recipe by Virginia Cherry Blossom
I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and I have modified a few ingredients. This is a very simple beef stroganoff made with cream cheese instead of sour cream. This recipe calls for condensed golden mushroom soup. You can use cream of mushroom soup but it lacks the flavor, consistency and color of the golden mushroom soup. Also, a 7 oz can of sliced mushrooms can be substituted for the fresh mushrooms. Leftovers are even better the next day!
Top Review by Papa D 1946-2012
*Excellent* This is a great stroganoff with plenty of flavor and I like the use of cream cheese. Made as written, but I did add more mushrooms and used red wine instead of water, also only used 2 ounces of cream cheese. A keeper, thanks! *Made for Seasoned Sailor and his Sassy Sirens ZWT 6*
- 1 lb beef stew meat, cubed
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped (1 small onion)
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine everything everything except for cream cheese in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 5 hours.
- Stir in cream cheese just before serving.
- You can boil a 12 oz Bag of Wide Egg Noodles and combine with mixture. If you like a lot of sauce, you may just want to combine with 6 oz instead of 12 oz. Let set for 5 to 10 minutes so that noodles can soak up that wonderful sauce!