Recipe by Faux Chef Lael
A hearty, savory slow cooker stew with hearty chucks of meat, savory vegetables and herbs.
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 potatoes, diced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons mccormick's beef stew seasoning (equals one packet)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour flour, seasoning salt, and pepper into gallon-sized, zippered bag. Shake beef in bag to coat.
- In a skillet (preferably cast iron) sauté coated beef in 1-2 tablespoons olive oil until browned but not fully cooked.
- Add chopped onion to beef to sauté and soften. Transfer meat and onions to slow cooker.
- Mix beef broth with Worcestershire and red wine. Pour into hot skillet to deglaze, then pour over beef and onions in cooker.
- Add carrots, celery, potatoes, tomatoes and McCormick stew seasoning to the slow cooker. Stir gently.
- Cover, and cook on Low setting for 10 to 12 hours, or on High setting for 4 to 6 hours. No peeking!
- In the last 30 minutes of cooking, add the corn and peas to the stew. Cover and bring stew back up to a simmer. Once it is hot again, it's ready to serve.