Recipe by Chandra M
This is quite possibly the best beef stew I have ever had. Flavorful, thick broth with perfectly done vegetables and melt in your mouth meat. This is from Cook's Illustrated Make Ahead Cookbook. I adapted the recipe slightly, and added a turnip. I used a large oval slow cooker, and it was filled to the brim at the start of cooking, so if using a round cooker I would decrease the veggies slightly.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium onions, minced
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 3 lbs lean stewing beef, cut in 1 . 5-inch chunks
- 1⁄3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons minute tapioca
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 lb red potatoes, cut in 1-inch chunks
- 1 lb carrot, cut in 1-inch chunks
- 1 lb parsnip, cut in 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium turnip, cut in 1-inch chunks
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 TBSP oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until the oil is shimmering. Add the onion, tomato paste, garlic, and 1/4 tsp salt ad cook until the onions are soft & lightly browned (about 10-15 minutes).
- Stir in the chicken broth, scraping up any browned in bits.
- Pour the onion mixture into the slow cooker. Stir in the beef broth, meat, soy sauce, tapioca, and bay leaves.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the potatoes, carrots, parsnips, turnips, 1 TBSP oil, and 1 tsp thyme. Season with salt & pepper.
- Wrap the vegetable mixture in a large piece of aluminum foil to make a pouch/packet that will fit in the top of the slow cooker (or use an aluminum oven bag).
- Set the vegetable packet in the slow cooker on top of the meat mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 9-11 hours (or high for 5-7 hours).
- Transfer the veggie packet to a plate.
- Let the stew settle for 5 minutes or so, then skim any excess fat from the top with a large flat spoon, tilting the cooker insert if necessary. Remove & discard the bay leaves.
- Carefully open the veggie packet, watching for steam. Stir the veggies and any of their juices into the meat mixture.
- Stir in the peas and 1 tsp thyme. Let stand about 5 minutes for the peas to heat through.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste and serve.