Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 hrs
I found this recipe on another website and altered it to my liking. The beef falls off the bone and its juices are absorbed into the potatoes. This is one of my favorite crock pot dishes.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs russian banana fingerling potatoes
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 of a white onion, sliced
- 4 beef shanks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons stone ground dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- Cut up the potatoes, mushrooms an onions. Place them in the slow cooker with beef shanks on top.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a bowl. Mix and pour over the beef.
- Cook on High for 2 hours and then low for 6-8 hours.
YUM! I made this tonight -- it couldn't be easier -- and there's nothing like a one pot meal! I would reduce or leave out the olive oil the next time (or trim the fat on the shanks) -- the meat had enough fat to make the sauce silky. I added 4 or 5 thickly sliced carrots to the vegetables in the bottom of the pot and 2 fresh bay leaves (because I had them). I mixed up all the sauce ingredients and cut up all the veggies the night before. In the morning, all I had to do was drop the veg, put the shanks on top and pour the sauce over --- and I was off to work. I completely left it alone for 6 hours on HI (That's a rare thing for me, I'm usually poking and prodding the meat) I fished out the bones when I got done work, and let the marrow fall down into the juices -- It was pretty much done then, but a few of the carrots and potatoes were still firm. I kept it going on low for another hour or so. The garlic smells very strongly early in the cooking, but it got nice and mellow by dinner time. This is definitely comfort food -- and friendly on the budget, too.