Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This is from Taste of Home. It has only four ingredients, and they all go into the crockpot at once. The meat is nicely seasoned and makes its own gravy. It tastes wonderful when you serve it over mashed potatoes.
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs boneless round steak
- 1 1⁄4 ounces dry onion soup mix
- 10 3⁄4 ounces condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- mashed potatoes (optional)
- Cut steak into six serving-size pieces; place in a 3-quart slow cooker.
- Add mushrooms and onions to crockpot.
- Combine soup mix, soup and water; pour over beef. I often used two packets of the soup mix.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender. Serve with mashed potatoes, if desired.
mmmm,mmmm, Good! So simple and so hearty and satisfying. I gave it 8 hrs on low and it was so tender that no knife was needed. As I didn't have any round steak I used a rump roast. The gravy I did thicken with 1 1/2 tsps of cornstarch, just to suite our preferences, but the flavor needed no adjustment in any way. I always brown a roast before I put it in the Slow Cooker and that was the only work to this recipe and even that is a option. This is an adopted tag for Sharon 1-2-3 in the Zaar Tag game. Sharon, I wish I could send you a big portion of this!
I have been searching for a crock pot recipe for round steak for ages. I generally make Swiss steak with round steak and love the flavor, but pounding the steaks with flour is time consuming and messy. This was quick to prepare and a hit with our entire family, including two pre-schoolers. I served with mashed potatoes and a vegetable on the side. Gravy was thick and flavorful. We like our foods with lots of spices, but if you are sensitive to salt, I would suggest using low sodium beef broth and/or reduced sodium mushroom soup. Great recipe. Thank you, Lainey6605!
What a great recipe. The taste is fabulous. All this gravy is so good. I used a rump roast that I browned first after reading Annacia's review. I cooked it 5 hours and it was perfect. Thanks Lainey :) Made for PRMR tag game