8 hrs 30 mins
A delicious slow cooker meal. If the beef is not well trimmed when you buy it, purchase 5 pounds and cut away the excess fat yourself in order to yield 4 pounds of solid meat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 lbs boneless beef chuck, well-trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups beef broth
- 2 large onions, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed with side of chef's knife
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (16 ounce) bag medium egg noodles
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped and loosely packed
- 1In 12-inch skillet, heat oil on medium-high until very hot.
- 2In large bowl, combine beef chunks, flour, 1/2 t salt, and 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper; toss to coat beef evenly.
- 3Add beef chunks to skillet in 3 batches, and cook 5-6 minutes per batch or until well browned on all sides, stirring occasionally and adding more oil if necessary.
- 4With slotted spoon, transfer beef to medium bowl once it is browned.
- 5After all beef is browned, add broth to skillet and heat to boiling on high, stirring to loosen any browned bits.
- 6Boil 1 minute, stirring.
- 7Meanwhile, in 6 to 6 1/2 quart slow cooker bowl, stir together sliced onions, garlic, beer and thyme.
- 8Top with browned beef, any juices in bowl, and broth mixture from skillet; do not stir.
- 9Cover slow cooker with lid, and cook as manufacturer directs on low setting for 8 hours.
- 10About 20 minutes before beef mixture is done, prepare egg noodles as label directs.
- 11To serve, skim and discard any fat from cooking liquid.
- 12Divide noodles evenly among serving bowls; spoon beef mixture and sauce over noodles, and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- 13Makes about 10 cups.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooker Beef Carbonnade
Serving Size: 1 (341 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 518.1
- Calories from Fat 170
- Total Fat 18.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 196.5 mg
- Sodium 226.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 63.0 g