Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
A delicious slow cooker meal. If the beef is not well trimmed when you buy it, purchase 5 pounds and cut away the excess fat yourself in order to yield 4 pounds of solid meat.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 lbs boneless beef chuck, well-trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups beef broth
- 2 large onions, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed with side of chef's knife
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (16 ounce) bag medium egg noodles
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped and loosely packed
- In 12-inch skillet, heat oil on medium-high until very hot.
- In large bowl, combine beef chunks, flour, 1/2 t salt, and 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper; toss to coat beef evenly.
- Add beef chunks to skillet in 3 batches, and cook 5-6 minutes per batch or until well browned on all sides, stirring occasionally and adding more oil if necessary.
- With slotted spoon, transfer beef to medium bowl once it is browned.
- After all beef is browned, add broth to skillet and heat to boiling on high, stirring to loosen any browned bits.
- Boil 1 minute, stirring.
- Meanwhile, in 6 to 6 1/2 quart slow cooker bowl, stir together sliced onions, garlic, beer and thyme.
- Top with browned beef, any juices in bowl, and broth mixture from skillet; do not stir.
- Cover slow cooker with lid, and cook as manufacturer directs on low setting for 8 hours.
- About 20 minutes before beef mixture is done, prepare egg noodles as label directs.
- To serve, skim and discard any fat from cooking liquid.
- Divide noodles evenly among serving bowls; spoon beef mixture and sauce over noodles, and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Makes about 10 cups.