Recipe by JanetB-KY
I made this for dinner tonight and it was quite good. I did add more garlic and also rosemary and thyme to add a little more flavor and because both of those herbs mix so nicely with red wine in cooking. I also used extra onions and mushrooms. Feel free to experiment with seasonings and veggies though the recipe as is is more classic. This is an extremely simple recipe for an old classic and practically foolproof. Your crockpot may cook slower or quicker though, so be aware of that.
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs cubed beef stew meat
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh baby carrots, halved crosswise
- 1 1⁄2 cups pearl onions, peeled
- 8 ounces small fresh whole mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced (I used three)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef consomme
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup red Burgundy wine
- fresh oregano, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl or plastic food bag,combine flour, salt, pepper and beef; mix well then put into a 3 1/2 or 4-quart slow cooker, larger if you are using extra vegetables.
- Add all remaining ingredients; mix well.
- Cover; cook on LOW setting for 10 to 12 hours or until carrots and beef are tender; garnish with oregano.