Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is my adaptation of Rita's "Beef Bourguignon" #54850 for making it in the crock pot for A French Love Affair challenge in ZWT 8/France. I have made no changes to the ingredients, only the preparation so that it is suited for the crock pot. I reduced the wine by half to adapt this recipe to the crock pot. It is a delicious recipe!
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 lbs cubed stew meat
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb button mushroom, cleaned and left whole
- 1 lb white pearl onion, peeled
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt and ground black pepper.
- Coat the beef cubes with this mixture.
- Melt the butter in cast iron pot over medium high heat. (Or if not worried about fat fry 3 bacon slices till browned remove and use the fat in place or with the butter).
- Add the meat and brown well on all sides.
- Add the onion, carrots, mushrooms, red pepper, and garlic to it.
- Saute for 5 to 10 minutes, or until onion is tender.
- Add the wine, bay leaf, parsley, and thyme.
- Transfer the ingredients from the skillet to the crock pot.
- Stir once and then cover with crock pot lid.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Garnish with parsley and crumbled bacon.
- Serve with crusty French bread and enjoy!
Prep in 20 minutes- awesome! I was under time pressure and sure enough, it took only 20 minutes to prep. I threw it in the slow cooker and left the house all day to return to a great smelling kitchen and delish weekday meal. I substituted margarine instead of butter and yellow onion instead of pearl. Am definitely not going to labor over boeuf bourguignon anymore. It was intense labor when i made the original recipe in the crock pot. Will definitely make it again. Thanks for the recipe.
This was so bland I almost threw it out. Maybe its a slow cooker thing, but its nothing at all like the beef bourguignon I grew up with.
I've been dying to create this dish after trying it for the first time in France last summer. I'm new to world of slow cooking -- just got our slow cooker few weeks ago, and this is the first meal I cooked in it "from scratch". It turned out really good! I already had two people ask me for the recipe since posting my photo on Facebook! The only thing makes me wonder -- I can really taste wine flavor when I bite into a mushroom or a carrot (not the meat or sauce). Are you supposed to taste wine? I used random cooking wine I had on hand. I wonder if the wine you use really makes the difference in flavor. I had more meat than the recipe calls for, so I tweaked proportions of the recipe.