Recipe by Lainey39
This is my adaptation of Rita's "Beef Bourguignon" #54850 for making it in the crock pot for A French Love Affair challenge in ZWT 8/France. I have made no changes to the ingredients, only the preparation so that it is suited for the crock pot. I reduced the wine by half to adapt this recipe to the crock pot. It is a delicious recipe!
Top Review by trandn
Prep in 20 minutes- awesome! I was under time pressure and sure enough, it took only 20 minutes to prep. I threw it in the slow cooker and left the house all day to return to a great smelling kitchen and delish weekday meal. I substituted margarine instead of butter and yellow onion instead of pearl. Am definitely not going to labor over boeuf bourguignon anymore. It was intense labor when i made the original recipe in the crock pot. Will definitely make it again. Thanks for the recipe.
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 lbs cubed stew meat
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb button mushroom, cleaned and left whole
- 1 lb white pearl onion, peeled
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt and ground black pepper.
- Coat the beef cubes with this mixture.
- Melt the butter in cast iron pot over medium high heat. (Or if not worried about fat fry 3 bacon slices till browned remove and use the fat in place or with the butter).
- Add the meat and brown well on all sides.
- Add the onion, carrots, mushrooms, red pepper, and garlic to it.
- Saute for 5 to 10 minutes, or until onion is tender.
- Add the wine, bay leaf, parsley, and thyme.
- Transfer the ingredients from the skillet to the crock pot.
- Stir once and then cover with crock pot lid.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Garnish with parsley and crumbled bacon.
- Serve with crusty French bread and enjoy!