Recipe by Lainey39
A comforting meal to come home to! Recipe is from Simple and Delicious.
Top Review by 1007443
I used a chuck roast and added some leftover pastor (chili powder, minced garlic and kosher salt) mix from tamales we made for the holidays in addition to the seasonings posted.
I also made this with black beans I let sit overnight. If you are like me and like to buy dried beans for food, but can't seem to find recipes that fit it, then let me advise you--cook the beans before making this! I had to cook them an additional 2 hours even though my beans were soaked overnight. (I am just learning to cook with dried beans)
It turned out really acidic with all the tomatoes, I used a 28 oz can of whole toms cause I only had italian flavored canned tomatoes, but I put in cream cheese and sour cream with my bowl and it balanced the acidity. I might divide the paste in two and use the rest to make my own pizza sauce. Because of the additional cooking time, my meat was braised and fell apart. It went well with the leftover Janita's chips (this is the best brand of tortilla chip).
I served mine with white rice in it cause I like a good beans and rice meal and it was delicious! I will make again with jalepenos, it really needs that additional kick to be a good chili in my opinion.
PS my son claims to hate tomatoes and LOVED this recipe. Picky eater approved :)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄3 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans or 1 (15 ounce) can white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place beef in a large resealable plastic bag; add chili powder and toss to coat.
- In large skillet over medium heat, brown beef and onion in oil.
- Meanwhile, in a greased 5-quart slow cooker, combine the beans, tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, jalapenos, brown sugar, garlic, salt, pepper and cumin.
- Stir in beef, onion and drippings.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Serve with sour cream, if desired.