Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Thick, hearty, and delicious - perfect for a cold winter day! From "Food Network Kitchens: Making It Easy".
- 1 cup dried bean mix, picked over and rinsed
- 6 cups water
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms (optional)
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Put the beans, water, tomatoes and their juices, garlic, celery, carrots, onion, barley, bay leaf, salt, Italian seasoning, pepper and porcini mushrooms in a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low until the beans are quite tender and the soup is thick, about 8 hours.
- Stir in the spinach, cheese and vinegar.
- Cover and let the soup cook until the spinach wilts, about 5 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and drizzle each serving with olive oil.
Prepared this yesterday.. let it cook in the slow cooker overnight. really nice flavor. i wanted to make it as written but, try as i did, i could not add good quality parmesan before cooking... it just didn't seem right. we enjoyed the parmesan grated over the soup with chopped parsley and a drizzle of oil (as reccommended). i did add the porcini but, i think next time (and there will definitely be a next time), i will soak/chop them first and use the liquid to replace one of the cups of water. they did add a lovely taste but, because i hadn't soaked and chopped them were just big pieces and not every one got some. the spinach gives it lvely color too. thank you.