Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
An easy and delicious dinner solution for those days when you want something tasty without spending all day in the kitchen! Your home will smell delicious while you slow cook this.
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 lbs pork shoulder
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon applewood liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- black pepper, for additional seasoning (to taste)
- salt, for additional seasoning (to taste)
- onion powder, for additional seasoning (to taste)
- garlic powder, for additional seasoning (to taste)
- Spray the inside of your crock pot with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place onions at the bottom of the crock pot.
- Trim visible fat from pork.
- Season your meat to your liking with salt, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper.
- In a large pan heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sear pork on all sides. About 2-3 minutes per side.
- Once meat is seared, remove and place on top of onions.
- Using the same pan, add the remainder of the ingredients and simmer for 5 mins until sauce starts to light bubble, stirring occasionaly, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan to incorporate all the drippings into the sauce.
- Pour over pork.
- Cook on 1 high for one hour, then reduce heat to low and cook for an additional 5-6 hours.
- About halfway through the cook time, remove visible oil floating in the surface with a ladle. This will ensure a delicious non-greasy sauce at the end!