Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This recipe comes from kraftfoods.com. It sounded good and comforting for the winter months. I have made some adjustments to the recipe. Remember not all slow cookers are created the same, adjust the cooking times accordingly.
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 lbs boneless beef stew meat, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 3⁄4 cup barbecue sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 4 medium carrots, scrubbed, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- 6 small red potatoes, scrubbed, quartered
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- In a nonstick skillet, heat the oil and brown the meat in batches.
- As the meat browns transfer to a 5 quart slow cooker.
- Pour in 1/2 cup of the barbecue sauce, sprinkle with the coffee granules.
- Top with onions, carrots and potatoes; cover with lid and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Turn heat to high, stir in thawed peas and remaining 1/4 cup barbecue sauce; cover and cook an additional 30 minutes or until heated through.
We really enjoyed this stew. I like the addition of the bbq sauce, gave it a little sweet taste. My husband said it made the peas taste like baked beans. I did add a half of can of tomato soup as it was drying out half way through the cooking cyle, plus we like our stew soupy.
This was a hit at this house, even in July! I used onion flakes because they will melt into the dish and gave the flavor but DH can't pick them out and I totally forgot to add the peas but we loved it. The bbq sauce was a very nice change up in flavor and fit perfectly with summer. I had little juice (or gravy) but it wasn't a problem for us. If you want gravy for rice or anything you'll likely need to add more sauce and water. Made for Photo Tag.
I chose this recipe to use up some bbq sauce and I'm glad I did! Even though I only used 1/2 cup of bbq sauce (this was all that was left in the bottle) it was fine and didn't add any extra liquid resulting in a very good stew with only a little broth - just the way I like it! Thanks for sharing this keeper which we will be having often!