2 hrs 15 mins
Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
Would you like to make fresh bread but don't have time. This recipe doesn't require any kneading! It takes only 15 minutes to prepare for baking and then you'll use your large crock pot (I use a large oval 6 qt pot) so you don't even have to heat up your kitchen. I found this recipe on www.justslowcooking.com and think it's just fabulous. The dough is very soft so you may be tempted to add more flour but resist the urge. You're going to end up with a loaf that's coarser in texture than bread that has been kneaded before rising and baking. Made sure that the loaf pan or casserole dish is well oiled and that there is room for the bread to rise. Also, it's important that you refrain from opening the lid of the crock pot until at least 2 hours have passed. If you don't have a trivet that can be placed in the bottom of the crock pot you can crumple up some aluminum foil and place your loaf pan on that. As of July 16, 2010 I made a very minor change to the recipe. I've had no problems with it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pour 1/2 cup of water into crock pot and preheat the slow cooker/crock pot on High with the lid on.
- 2Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup of the lukewarm water or milk with the sugar and set in a warm - not hot - place.
- 3Put the flour in a large bowl and sprinkle with the salt.
- 4Make a well in the centre.
- 5When the yeast is bubbly, pour the rest of the water or milk, the yeast mixture, and the oil into the well.
- 6Stir with your fingers (I use a soup spoon) until all the flour has been absorbed.
- 7Grease a 2 quart mold and place the bread in it. (You can use a coffee can, a casserole dish or a loaf pan, whatever will fit inside your crockpot).
- 8Brush milk with a pastry brush over the top of the bread.
- 9Cover loosely with a plate and let stand for 5 minutes in a warm place.
- 10Place on a trivet in the slow cooker, cover the cooker, and bake on High for 2 to 3 hours.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooker Basic White Bread
Serving Size: 1 (80 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 158.7
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 98.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 4.0 g