Recipe by *That Girl*
This recipe comes from my "Best of Mr. Food" cookbook. (Mr. Food does a segment on a local news station here in the Chicago area). This is the best barbequed beef sandwich recipe I have ever tasted. To quote Mr. Food himself "OOH IT'S SOOO GOOD!"
- 2 1⁄2 lbs chuck roast, trimmed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) can Coke or 1 (12 ounce) can cola drink
- 1⁄3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 hamburger buns
Directions See How It's Made
- Place roast in a 4 quart slow cooker or crockpot; add onions.
- combine cola and next seven ingredients; reserve 1 cup sauce and keep chilled.
- pour remaining sauce over roast.
- cover and cook on high for 1 hour, reduce heat to low and and cook 8 more hours or until roast is very tender.
- remove roast and chopped onions from cooker using a slotted spoon; shred meat with two forks.
- place shredded meat back in slow cooker.
- combine reserved 1 cup sauce with ketchup and butter.
- pour sauce over shredded meat and mix well.
- cook on high heat until thoroughly heated stirring often.
- serve on buns.