Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This is a hearty slow cooker meal. If you don't like ricotta cheese you can use cottage cheese instead.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (25 ounce) jars pasta sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) box ziti pasta
- Cook ground beef and onion in a large skillet over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink. Stir in seasonings to evenly coat meat,stir in pasta sauce set aside.
- Mix 1 cup mozzarella, ricotta, and parmesan in a bowl. Spoon 2 cups of meat sauce into the slow cooker and top with 2 cup ziti. Drop 1/2 of cheese mixture over ziti and spread over ziti. Layer with 2 cups of meat sauce, the remaining ziti and remaining cheese. Add meat sauce and place lid on slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
- Sprinkle food with remaining cup of mozzerella and let stand for 10 minutes until melted.
Very good & easy recipe! I followed the directions just as written, but doubled the recipe...which filled my ENTIRE crockpot! I used organic garden veggie sauce & organic beef which I find much more flavorful than their non-organic counterparts. I also used whole grain pasta which tends to take longer to cook and holds up better in the crock from my experience.
This recipe needs more seasoning, other than the generic "italian seasoning". It has very little flavor except for the pasta sauce. Boring! My family wouldn't eat it.
I made this 4 hours ago, and cooked on low. I just came in to find it dried out and burned to the side of the crock pot. There is obviously not enough sauce and far too much cheese. I even added 2 eggs to the ricotta! A big waste of money, time and effort.