Recipe by adena mangis
This is a hearty slow cooker meal. If you don't like ricotta cheese you can use cottage cheese instead.
Top Review by LillyZackMom
Very good & easy recipe! I followed the directions just as written, but doubled the recipe...which filled my ENTIRE crockpot! I used organic garden veggie sauce & organic beef which I find much more flavorful than their non-organic counterparts. I also used whole grain pasta which tends to take longer to cook and holds up better in the crock from my experience.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (25 ounce) jars pasta sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) box ziti pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook ground beef and onion in a large skillet over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink. Stir in seasonings to evenly coat meat,stir in pasta sauce set aside.
- Mix 1 cup mozzarella, ricotta, and parmesan in a bowl. Spoon 2 cups of meat sauce into the slow cooker and top with 2 cup ziti. Drop 1/2 of cheese mixture over ziti and spread over ziti. Layer with 2 cups of meat sauce, the remaining ziti and remaining cheese. Add meat sauce and place lid on slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
- Sprinkle food with remaining cup of mozzerella and let stand for 10 minutes until melted.