Recipe by bcfdwife
This is the best baked bean recipe I've found so far! And it's done in the slow cooker so your stove and oven is open for other fixins'!
Top Review by Starfarmer
Good basic recipe, but I think the salt should be left to the end while the ketchup and dry mustard should go in earlier. Adding the salt at the start increases cooking time by perhaps as much as two hours and keeps the beens from ever being truly "melting" in texture
- 24 ounces dried navy beans
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 lb ham hock (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot over high heat, combine the beans with water to cover and bring to a boil for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, but let sit for 1 hour.
- Drain beans and place them in a slow cooker. (If using ham hocks, add now.)
- Add the onion, brown sugar, maple syrup, salt and water.
- Mix well, cover and cook on high setting for 4-5 hours, stirring occasionally.
- During the final hour of cooking, add the ketchup and mustard (if you used ham hocks, remove the ham from the hocks and discard the hocks.).
- Mix well and serve.