Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From the FoodTV.ca website. These are really tasty with some good multigrain bread. I am posting the cooking time and setting as suggested by the recipe's author but let your own slow cooker be your guide. I had to turn mine up to high half way through.
- 1 1⁄4 cups dried navy beans, soaked overnight in
- 3 cups water
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon chili paste (if unavailable, substitute 1 tsp. chili powder)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 5 slices bacon
- Put the beans to soak in the centre crock of the slow cooker overnight.
- In the morning, turn the slow cooker to high.
- Chop the onion and add it to the crock as you chop.
- Add, in order, the salt, pepper, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, molasses, ketchup, chili paste and maple syrup.
- Stir until well combined.
- Lay the bacon on top and cover with the lid.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for 7 hours. (Check the progress of the beans about half way through - you may have to turn the heat back up to high.).