Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This recipe is from Martha Stewart. It is to die for!!!!! So great on hamburgers, or with cheese and crackers. Or served with biscuits. The uses are endless! You can even place in jars to give as gifts.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-high, stirring occasionally, until fat is rendered and bacon is lightly browned, about 20 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet and add onions and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Add vinegar, brown sugar, maple syrup, and coffee and bring to a boil, stirring and scraping up browned bits from skillet with a wooden spoon, about 2 minutes. Add bacon and stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a 6-quart slow cooker and cook on high, uncovered, until liquid is syrupy, 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Transfer to a food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Let cool, then refrigerate in airtight containers, up to 4 weeks.
I've got 4 young adult men eating at my house. Bacon is a major food group. I had to make this! Awesome stuff. Made for CQ 14.
Made as written for the FF&F Best of 2014 event & touted by "sheepdoc" as a 2014 fave, this was very well-received by my DH & his brother. They walk together on Sat mornings & we trade hosting duties for a brunch after their wkly walks. There is a wide variety of sweet & mostly berry-based jams/preserves available here & many cooks "can" their own, but the savory options are my personal faves. It also appealed for its crockpot cooking method & because my DH has dietary restrictions that include nuts, raisins & certain other fruits which the recipe avoided. It just ticked all the boxes for us & my BIL even said "I would be very happy to get some of this in our Christmas food basket later this year." :-)