Prep 25 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Bone-in chicken breasts are slow cooked in a smoky tomato sauce with rice and peas, then topped with fresh cherry tomatoes and cilantro. The mix of fresh and cooked vegetables makes this meal pretty enough to entertain from the crock pot! From Ladies Home Journal.
- 4 lbs skinless chicken breasts, bone-in (6 small)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 small onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 chipotle chile (from canned chipotle in adobo sauce)
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups instant rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- lime wedge, for serving
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Combine oregano, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle half of spice mixture over chicken and rub in with fingers; set remaining aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add chicken and cook, turning, until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Place canned tomatoes, onion, garlic, chipotle and remaining spice mixture in a blender.
- Cover and blend until almost smooth; pour over chicken. Add broth.
- Cover and cook, 4 to 5 hours on low or 2 to 2-1/2 hours on high.
- After cooking for the time above, gently stir in rice, cover and cook on high, stirring once, 30 minutes.
- Turn cooker off, stir in peas, cover and let stand 15 minutes.
- Cut cherry tomatoes in half and toss with cilantro; serve over chicken and rice, with lime wedges on the side.