Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
My children really enjoy this recipe (I do too!) and I like that it is so easy to prepare! I usually double it, as everyone wants some for lunch the next day!
- 3 lbs skinless chicken pieces (if using chicken breasts, I cut them in half)
- 1 cup sugar-free apricot jam (of course you can use regular apricot jam)
- 1 cup fat-free French dressing (again, you can use regular french dressing)
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Put a couple of Tablespoons of coconut oil (or vegetable oin) in a frypan and lightly brown the chicken pieces and then place the chicken into the slow cooker. *This step can be omited and the chicken can be added directly to the slow cooker if you are in a hurry or would like to reduce the calories further, but I like the richer flavor that lightly browning the chicken imparts.
- in a medium bowl, mix together the apricot jam, the french dressing and the pkg. of onion soup mix. Pour this over the top of the chicken, making sure each piece is covered with at least some of the sauce. Put the lid on and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours).
- During the last 1/2 hour of cooking, mix the cornstarch and chicken broth together and stir into the chicken/apricot sauce mixture. Replace the lid and let thicken slightly. Stir gently just before serving. We serve this over cooked rice, barley or pasta.
I am sorry I thought that this was a recipe page. Adding a tin of jam and a packet of dried soup is not exactly cordon bleu cooking is it. However I did, reluctantly, try it once so I could review it. I will not be repeating the experience
Very delicious. So easy to make and budget-friendly ingredients. Thank-you Likkel for a great dinner.
When I started a new job recently, my husband stepped up to become the "chief cook and bottle washer" in our household. For tonight's supper, Chef Dan prepared this delicious Apricot Chicken recipe. Our neighbors dined us, and we all agreed that this one gets 5 Stars. I think our grandkids will love it.