Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs
this is from the food blog http://www.theyummylife.com/blog/2011/03/159/Overnight,+Slow+Cooker,+Apple+Cinnamon+Steel-Cut+Oatmeal this works well but for some reason my crockpots scortch but i think its because this may need a stir after a couple hours or i let it cook too long. great with a ripe banana for a little extra sweatness. also 2% add's a lot more richness.
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2-1/2 to 3 cups chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked steel cut oats
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, cut into 5-6 pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground flax seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Coat inside of 3-1/2 quart (or larger) slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all ingredients (except optional toppings) to slow cooker. Stir, cover, and cook on low for 7 hours. Spoon oatmeal into bowls; add optional toppings, if desired. Store leftovers in refrigerator. Freezes well.
- To reheat single servings: Put 1-cup cooked oatmeal in microwave proof bowl. Add 1/3 cup fat-free milk. Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. Continue cooking for another minute, or until hot.
- Recipe can be doubled in 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Increase cooking time 1 hour.
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 4 pts per 3/4 cup serving.