Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Instead of ground beef, this recipe uses cubed beef, which is a nice change of pace from what a lot of people are used to. Serve with Cheddar cheese, green salsa, chopped red onion, sliced avocado, sour cream, and cilantro sprigs.
- 1 large onion, chopped, about 1-1/2 cups
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes with jalapenos
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package chili seasoning mix
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine onion and garlic in 4-quart slow cooker. In bowl, toss meat with cornmeal; place over onions.
- Combine tomatoes, tomato paste and chili seasoning; pour over meat. Top with beans. Cover; cook on low 8 hours. Stir in cilantro and serve with suggested toppings.
Very easy dish to make....just toss it all in the crock pot and let the crock pot do all the work. The fresh cilantro really contributed a lot of flavor to this dish. And I don't know if I did something wrong but the cornmeal just flaked off the beef and didn't really contribute much to the overall taste of the chili. So next time I make this, I'd be inclined to omit the step of dredging the beef in cornmeal. Otherwise, this was a really nice, thick chili which we did as mentioned in the intro and sprinkled grated cheddar cheese on top.