Prep 8 mins
Cook 5 hrs
From Chatelaine magazine.
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, thickly sliced
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, thickly sliced
- 28 ounces plum tomatoes, drained
- 2 (5 1/2 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 lbs beef roast (such as cross-rib or blade roast)
- Place mushrooms, garlic, carrots, onion, celery, plum tomatoes, and tomato paste in the bowl of a slow cooker. Add seasonings and sugar. Stir to evenly mix.
- Place meat in slow cooker and spoon vegetable mixture over top. Cover and cook until beef is fork tender, 5 to 6 hours on high or 8 to 10 hours on low.
- Remove beef to a cutting board and let stand 5 minutes,then thickly slice.
- Serve with one-third of sauce.
- You can thicken remaining sauce to use for pasta by puréeing half of it, then stirring it back into chunky sauce. Taste and add pinches of hot chili flakes if you like it spicy.