Recipe by bluemoon downunder
Beef steaks stuffed with pesto, spinach, onion and garlic slow-cooked in a crockpot, served with a sauce made from the juices and a simple potato dish. Adapted from a recipe in Betty Crocker's "Slow Cooker Cookbook".
Top Review by weekend cooker
Great dinner tonight. I added a couple beef boullion cubes. I added a dash pepper, and garlic powder to this . A wonderful dinner. I also used beef broth to this, as opposed to red wine, due to this was Sunday. Made for 1-2-3 hits.
- 4 beef steaks (about 11/4pounds)
- 1⁄4 cup basil pesto
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) packet frozen chopped spinach, thawed and thoroughly squeezed
- 1⁄2 cup red wine or 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Flatten the steaks so that they are about 1/8-inch thick by pounding them with a meat mallet or a rolling pin.
- Divide the spinach, onion and garlic evenly among the steaks, spreading the filling to the edges, then roll up each of the steaks and secure it with toothpicks or small metal skewers.
- Place the steaks in a 31/2-quart (31/2 litre) crockpot, pour the wine or beef broth over the steaks, cover the crockpot, and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours or until the beef is tender.
- Remove the steaks from the crockpot to a serving platter, and keep warm.
- Skim any fat from the juices in the crockpot, and pour one cup of the juice into a small pan.
- To make the sauce, mix cornstarch and water and add to the juice; then cook over a medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring continuously until thickened.
- Serve the steaks with the sauce and a potato dish such as Bergy’s Irish Mashed Potatoes recipe #10974, English Parsley Potatoes recipe #123425 or Colcannon recipe #123663.