Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I found this recipe in quick cooking years ago and our family loves it :) I always add more spices than called for.. Hope you enjoy it!! :) I serve with a salad and garlic toast
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder or 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 lb spaghetti
- In a skillet cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain. Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add the next 10 ingredients and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4-5 hours until heated through. Discard bay leaf and serve over cooked spaghetti.
This was a terrific sauce! My family loved it and I did too! It was the perfect consistency in the crock pot and I only cooked on low for 4 hours. I used Italian sausage and added bell peppers and mushrooms. I omitted the thyme and added majoram instead. I also added in a little Worcestershire sauce and red wine plus 1 extra can of tomato sauce (8 ounces). I added in a little fresh basil at the end and served it over thin spaghetti with garlic bread and a little minced fresh parsley on top. I will make this many more times!
I also found this recipe from Taste of Home's Quick Cooking. I make this right on the stove instead of the crockpot, but I do like this with Italian Sausage. Thank you for posting this!
I found this recipe through a recommendation by CookinQTGranny in Random Draw Tag. I used mild italian sausage and 4 fresh garlic cloves added to the sausage and onion when it was almost done in the skillet. This was nice and robust but had a slightly burned flavor? I used the quick on high 4 hour method.