- 2 lbs boneless pork loin
- 1 piece fresh ginger, 1-inch long
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons five-spice powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed with the flat of a knife
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the pork loin into six equal pieces and place into a 3 1/2 qt crock pot. Cut ginger in three slices and add to meat. Add the remaining ingredients. Cook on low 6 hours or high 3 hours.
- Remove the pork to a plate. Remove and discard the cinnamon stick, the ginger and the garlic cloves. Transfer the liquid to a pot over high heat and simmer until reduced and slightly thickened and glossy.
- Slice pork 1/4"-1/3" thick and serve with thickened sauce.