Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Entered for safe-keeping. From Michelle Gurnsey in Taste of Home Healthy Cooking Dec/Jan 2010. High fiber, no parboiling, and Southwest flavor: this is my kind of dish. Note: this dish only takes 3-4 hours to cook in the slow-cooker.
- 4 medium sweet red peppers or 4 medium green bell peppers, tops cut off and seeds and pith removed
- 15 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 ounces shredded monterey jack pepper cheese (1 cup)
- 3⁄4 cup salsa
- 1 small onion, chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked converted long grain rice
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds and white pith. Set aside.
- In large bowl, combine the beans, cheese, salsa, onion, corn, rice, chili powder and cumin. Spoon into peppers. Place in 5-quart slow cooker coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and cook on Low for 3-4 hours or until peppers are tender and filling is heated through. Serve with sour cream if desired.
Outstanding! Perfect seasoning, easy, on hand ingredients, and timing is right on-- not overcooked. Served ours with a small grilled chicken breast. My kind of food too Kate. Lol! Thank you for sharing.
This is my new go-to recipe for stuffed peppers! The cholula was on the table, but the spice was sufficient enough that no one used any. DH did add extra salsa to his and we loved it with the added sour cream. I might need to make more next time as the kids ate an entire pepper themselves and didn't leave me any leftovers! :)
Halved the recipe, enjoyed one and looking forward to the other one. I used green bell peppers. Yum!