Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 8 hrs
Cook 8 hrs
The meat needs overnight marination, so plan accordingly.
Make and share this Slow Cooked Southern Barbeque on a Bun! recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 lbs boneless pork butt, trimmed of excess fat
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 8 kaiser rolls, split
- In a medium-size saucepan combine ketchup, chili sauce, mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire, liquid smoke, cumin, honey, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes, uncovered. Let cool to room temperature.
- Put the pork butt in a large zippered-top plastic bag. Pour the barbecue sauce over the pork, seal, and marinate at least 8 hours or overnight in the refridgerator, turning the bag over a few times if possible.
- Remove the pork butt from the marinade and put in the slow cooker. Pour the marinade into a small bowl, add the water, and mix well. Pour over the roast. Cover and cook on LOW until the meat is fork-tender, 8 to 10 hours.
- Transfer the pork to a platter, tent with aluminum foil, and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes before carving into thin slices. Put a few slices of pickle on the bottom half of each Kaiser bun, top with some pork, spoon over some of the barbecue sauce, put a scoop of coleslaw on top of that, and have yourself some damn good ’cue!