1/2 Photos of Slow Cooked Smothered Pork Chops
8 hrs 25 mins
mary winecoff's Note:
This uses a crock pot to make a tender pork chop with gravy. Perfect to serve with mashed potatoes. From Cook's Country, July 2008.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices bacon, chopped fine
- 6 pork chops, bone-in blade cut about 3/4 inch thick
- salt and pepper
- 3 yellow onions, halved and sliced into 1/2 inch moons
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons thyme, minced
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- 1Fry bacon in large skillet over medium heat until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels, leaving fat in pan. Refrigerate bacon.
- 2Heat fat over high heat until smoking. Meanwhile, pat pork chops dry with paper towels and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook 3 chops until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer chops to slow cooker. Repeat with remaining chops and transfer to slow cooker.
- 3Pour off all but 1 teaspoon fat from skillet; add onions, 1 teaspoon brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 cup water to skillet. Scrape browned bits from pan bottom and cook over medium high heat until onions are soft, about 6 minutes. Stir in garlic and thyme and cook 30 seconds longer. Pour onion mixture over chops in slow cooker. Add broth, soy sauce and remaining 1 Tablespoon brown sugar to skillet, bring to boil and add bay leaves. Pour mixture over onions in slow cooker.
- 4Cover slow cooker and cook on low until pork is very tender, about 8 hours.
- 5When ready to serve, reheat bacon in large saucepan until crisp and transfer to small bowl. Remove chops to serving platter, discard bay leaves and pour liquid through mesh strainer into saucepan. Transfer solids to blender with 1 cup liquid and blend until smooth. Stir back into remaining liquid in saucepan. Mix cornstarch and remaining 2 Tablespoons water together in small bowl and stir into sauce. Cook over medium heat until thickened, about 8 minutes. Add vinegar, season with salt and pepper, pour over chops, and sprinkle with bacon and parsley. Serve.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooked Smothered Pork Chops
Serving Size: 1 (602 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 535.7
- Calories from Fat 294
- Total Fat 32.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 127.9 mg
- Sodium 600.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 41.4 g