Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a Jamie Oliver recipe that we make often. I have also used butterflied leg of lamb successfully.
- 2 1⁄4 kg lamb shoulder
- olive oil
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 head garlic, broken into clove
- fresh rosemary sprig
- 2 red onions, peeled and quartered
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 sticks celery, cut into pieces
- 1 large leek, trimmed and cut
- 800 g tinned whole tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- fresh thyme sprig
- 4 ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 750 ml red wine
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Rub leg with oil, salt and pepper.
- Put into roasting tray.
- Using a sharp knife make small incisions all over the lamb and poke rosemary leaves and quartered garlic cloves inches.
- Add rest of garlic cloves, onions, carrots, celery, leeks and fresh tomatoes to the tray.
- Tuck remaining herbs under the meat.
- Pour tinned tomatoes over the top, followed by the wine.
- Cover tray tightly with double layer of foil.
- Put into oven, turning down temperature to 170°C (300°F).
- Cook 3.5 to 4 hours.
Haven't made any lamb in a long time and this came out really great. Didn't follow the recipe exactly, but used the general ideas.
Browned the lamb in olive oil on top of the stove first.
Didn't do step 4 - making incisions. Instead spread chopped garlic and rosemary springs on top of roast.
Added the other ingredients and brought to a boil. Then covered and placed in a 300 oven.
Also, used mushrooms instead of carrots
Outstanding, what can I say. The only reason I haven't given 5 stars is I played about with the recipe a bit, but I can safely say this dish was out of this world. The lamb was so tender and flavoursome, and the gravy needed nothing doing to it at all - just pour out pan juices, thicken with flour and voila! So, I ommitted the veggies (Beccause I didn't have any), went a little easier on the wine (a whole bottle?! Spot the rich celebrity chef!) and added a handful of redcurrants to the pan. To die for. Thank you so much for this recipe :) Oh, and I took the foil off for the last 40mins, to crisp the skin a little. Mmmmmmmm.