Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
- 1 lb kielbasa, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked uncle ben converted rice
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- Add all ingredients to a slow cooker; stir to mix.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or until rice is tender.
I will not give this stars because I didn't follow the recipe very closely. I cut the amounts in half but used the whole can of green chiles. (what else would I do with them?!) I used regular white rice. My crockpot is 6 qt, which usually cooks a small recipe in shorter time. On low, the rice was starting to get overcooked and the liquid was gone at 3 hours, but the onions were crisp-tender. We just ate it that way; but next time I will use my chopper to make the veggies very small. And maybe add the rice a bit later? It was also VERRY spicy; next time don't use twice the amount of chiles and maybe decrease the taco seasoning! Overall, good flavor.
Made this recipe today for myself and my husband and we both loved it! We thought the flavor was just perfect, not at all heavy on the tomatoes as a previous reviewer commented. We will definitely make this again.
Kielbasa is a great addition to this recipe. I put it on the 8-hr setting on my crockpot and added some extra water-- big mistake. It came out VERY mushy... my fault. Still tasty. Next time I will follow the directions to a T.