Prep 40 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Not typical weeknight fair, this is why we have Sundays. Fabulous comfort food for when reading the Sunday paper is your biggest obligation and the weather outside is frightful.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 lbs rump roast
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 20 whole peppercorns
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh parsley or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 cups beef stock or 2 cups canned beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 large carrots, sliced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Melt butter in large oven safe pot or dutch oven and sear all sides of roast until browned.
- Remove meat.
- Add onions, celery, bay leaf, garlic, peppercorns, thyme, and parsley to the pot that the meat was seared in and saute until the onion starts to brown.
- Add 2 cups beef broth or stock to veggie mixture, and heat scraping the beef bits off the bottom of the pot, then add 1/2 tsp salt.
- Place roast back in pan.
- Place the roast in the oven, covered for 4 hours, basting several times.
- When the meat is tender, remove and strain stock into medium bowl, discard veggies and keep stock.
- Using 2 forks, shred the roast apart into slightly bigger than bite sized chunks.
- Put the meat back into the pot and pour stock over it.
- Add the remaining 1/2 tsp salt and the carrots.
- Cover and cook for 40 to 50 more minutes.
- Just before serving, strain the stock from the pot roast and combine it with the additional 2 cups broth to make gravy (you need 3 cups liquid, add water if short).
- Sprinkle the flour into the liquid Bring the liquid to a boil stirring often until thick.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve the pot roast and carrots over mashed potatoes with the gravy poured over all.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
This came out very nice, tender, succulent. I didn't have beef broth so used chicken broth. My husband was "starving" so I put the carrots in at the beginning and didn't cook it the last 40 more minutes. Thanks so much for a lovely dinner!