Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Found on veryculinary.com.
Make and share this Slow Cooked Pot Roast recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (20 ounce) container ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, cut into 1in pieces
- 16 ounces baby carrots
- 3 lbs beef round rump roast
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the broth, ketchup, brown sugar, and garlic.
- Rub the beef all over with a little olive oil. In a large sauté pan, over medium high, brown the beef for about 2 minutes per side.
- In a 4-quart (or larger) slow cooker, place the browned beef, carrots, and onions. Pour ketchup mixture over the top. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Slice or shred the meat and serve with the veggies and sauce, over mashed potatoes (optional.).
I wasn't really sure what to expect with this recipe, but found that the gravy was really yummy. I made exactly as written with the exception of using Splenda Brown Sugar substitute and a chuck roast instead of a rump roast (personal preference). I let it cook on low all day while I was at work. When I came home the house smelled soooooooo good. That's what I love about crock pot cooking...you come home to such wonderful aromas. While I was boiling the potatoes, I shredded the meat and put it back in the crock pot to sit in the juices. As suggested, I served the shredded roast over mashed potatoes. Easy and delicious...it doesn't get any better than that. Made for My Three Chefs October 2013.