Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A delicious recipe that creates a very soft succulent meal.
Make and share this Slow Cooked Portuguese Lamb recipe from Food.com.
- 1 leg of lamb
- 1⁄2 liter red wine
- 1 liter tomato juice
- 400 g peeled canned tomatoes
- 10 spring onions, trimmed
- 2 onions, chopped
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- 400 g canned chick-peas
- 400 g canned butter beans
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Trim all the fat off the leg of lamb.
- Put the lamb into a casserole dish with the red wine, tomato juice, peeled tomatoes, spring onions, onions, garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cover and heat in oven for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours add the chick peas and butter beans.
- Increase the heat to 200°C and cook uncovered for another hour.
This was very nice, but be warned, you need a huge baking dish to hold all those ingredients. Even after returning it to the higher heat in the oven for the last hour, it was still very thin, so I spent about 20 minutes reducing this on top of my stove. We ate this with the tomatoey beans ladled into bowls and chunks of meat on top, crusty bread to mop the yummy juices up and a big salad. A nice father's day dinner thank you.