2 hrs 25 mins
Elly in Canada's Note:
Jamie is the executive chef of Jamie Kennedy’s Wine Bar and Restaurant in Toronto. These ribs were his choice of favourite comfort foods from 10 top Canadian chefs. Recipe adapted by the Chatelaine Test Kitchen. I like to add the grated rind of an orange to the sauce mixture. Prep time does not include marinating overnight.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (398 ml) cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey or 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 6 lbs pork back ribs or 6 lbs side pork ribs
- 1 head garlic
- 2 jalapenos or 2 chili peppers, with seeds, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons regular paprika or 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1At least a day before serving, in a large saucepan, stir tomato sauce with orange juice, onion, celery, vinegar, honey and ginger.
- 2Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally to develop flavour, about 1 hour.
- 3Stir often near end of cooking. Cool slightly then puree.
- 4Working in batches, purée in a blender and pour into bowl or jar.
- 5Cover and refrigerate at least overnight or up to 3 days.
- 6Meanwhile, slice pork into four-rib portions and place in a very large bowl.
- 7Finely chop or mince garlic. Finely chop jalapeño including seeds.
- 8Place garlic and jalapeños in a small bowl.
- 9Stir in oil, paprika and salt. Rub over ribs. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 10About 3 hours before serving, preheat oven to 375F (190C).
- 11Place ribs in a very large roasting pan. Pour sauce overtop. Turn to evenly coat. It’s ok if ribs overlap.
- 12Cover tightly with foil. Bake in centre of oven for 1 1/2 hours. Remove and discard foil. Turn ribs, spooning sauce overtop. Continue baking, turning ribs occasionally and basting, until very tender, from 1 to 11/2 hours.
- 13Remove pan to a heatproof surface. Place ribs on a platter. Spoon sauce in pan over ribs.
- 14For the ultimate comfort dinner, serve with baked or mashed potatoes and corn.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow-Cooked Pork Ribs With Sweet and Sour Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (528 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1468.4
- Calories from Fat 1031
- Total Fat 114.5 g
- Saturated Fat 40.6 g
- Cholesterol 367.4 mg
- Sodium 2222.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 19.3 g
- Protein 76.5 g