This recipe offers a flavorful take on pork loin, marinated in a honey-orange juice mixture and slowly cooked with cherries and onions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (2 lb) boneless pork loin, end tied
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, cut into 16 wedges
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 3 cups cooked rice, for serving
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley, for garnish
- 1In a gallon size Ziploc Storage Bag, combine the honey, orange juice, white wine vinegar, rosemary and cumin. Place the pork loin in the bag and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- 2Remove the loin from the bag and set aside. Pour the marinade into a medium bowl and whisk in the flour, a little at a time, until there are no lumps; then set aside.
- 3Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork loin and cook on all sides until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove the loin and place in the bowl of a medium (4-quart) slow cooker (see chef's note). Add the onions to the skillet and sauté until slightly softened and golden, about 5 minutes.
- 4Place the onions in the slow cooker with the pork loin. Add the cherries to the reserved marinade from Step 2 and pour the mixture over the pork loin and onions. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 2 hours 25 minutes, or until a meat thermometer (inserted into the middle of the loin) registers 160 degrees F. (See chef's note.).
- 5Remove the loin and allow to sit for 5 minutes before slicing. To serve, spoon about 1/2 cup rice onto a plate. Place a slice or two of pork loin on the rice and drizzle with the cherry and onion sauce that the pork cooked inches Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
- 6chef's notes.
- 7Slow cookers vary, so start checking meat for doneness after about 2 hours.
- 8To prepare this dish without a slow cooker, simply follow the steps above through cooking the loin in the skillet. Next, instead of placing the loin in the slow cooker, place it in a large pot on your stovetop. Add the onions, cherries and reserved marinade from Step 2. Cover the pot with a lid and cook on medium-low for about 2 hours 15 minutes, or until a meat thermometer registers 160 degrees F. Allow the pork loin to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- 9Pair leftover pork with crusty bread for sensational sandwiches.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooked Pork Loin With Dried Cherries and Baby Onions
Serving Size: 1 (347 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 538.1
- Calories from Fat 195
- Total Fat 21.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 95.2 mg
- Sodium 80.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 16.6 g
- Protein 33.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar