Recipe by Jana Steinhagen
Some like it hot! On the Chilli 'Richter' scale at 15 out of 10 the Raja Naga Chilli is the hottest Chilli in the World. The aroma after opening the packet already made me go all heady! I hope this recipe will do it justice. The sweet Pineapple and the smooth coconut cream will tame it a bit, but I am expecting explosions in my mouth!
- 1 (600 g) pork, filet sliced
- 1 raja naga chili
- 3 red chilies
- 1 inch galangal
- 3 stalks lemongrass (woody bits removed)
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 shallots
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons tamarind juice
- 100 g coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 50 g green beans
- 150 g fresh pineapple, cut into chunks
Directions See How It's Made
- Make a paste from the chillies, shallots, garlic, turmeric, lemongrass, galangal, tamarind juice, fish sauce and a splash of your finest water.
- Marinate the pork in this overnight.
- Place the marinated Pork with the marinade into an ovenproof casserole dish and add the pineapple, green beans, tomato puree and coconut cream.
- Stir together gently and put it in the oven for 1 1/2 hours slow cooking at 130 degrees. It may look rather dry at this point but the juices from the meat will turn into a lovely sauce. Give it a little stir at half time :-).
- If it does seem a little to dry after half time, do add a splash of water to get the right consistency.
- serve with plain rice and have a good old steam outa your ears but with a surprise of pineapple hitting at an unsuspected moment!