Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This is an easy, but very tasty recipe. It's our favorite pasta sauce.
- 1 lb turkey sausage
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup sliced button mushroom
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped (red or green)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (use more or less to taste)
- 1 (28 ounce) cancrushed tomatoes, with puree
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- Brown crumbled sausage and add onions, garlic, mushrooms, and bell pepper.
- Transfer meat and veggies to slowcooker and add in remaining ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours.
- When done, sample the sauce and if it has a bitter taste, stir in a Tb more sugar.
- Serve over spaghetti or in any dish that calls for pasta sauce.
This is a MUST try. By far the best pasta sauce I have ever tasted. I used mild Italilan sausage and omitted the red pepper flakes, personal tast. SF Girl, I'll never make another pasta meat sauce again, this is perfection. Thank you
I think i need to try this again. I forgot to put in the wine/juice and it actually overcooked, which has never happened to me in a crockpot before! It was quite tomatoey but this might also be because I forgot the juice and also didn't put the peppers or mushrooms in. I think with some extra tweaking it would be a good recipe to try again...
This was so good, especially after all the ways I "cheated" the recipe: using pre-cooked, frozen ground beef, slightly burning my veggies (baby's fault!), and using slightly less tomatoes and sauce (to use up stuff from the fridge), and using grape juice rather than wine. Still, it was wonderful to come home to such a great smell, with only the pasta to cook. I also put fresh spinach in the serving dish with the sauce and pasta; that wilted and was enough for us to skip the salad. I think next time I'll double the recipe and freeze the extra. Oh, and I usually don't like spicy food, but the 1/2t of pepper flakes did add a nice touch.