Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
"The Other White Meat", with Oriental seasonings.
Make and share this Slow Cooked Oriental Pork Chops recipe from Food.com.
- 4 pork chops, 1 inch thick, bone in
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili pepper flakes, crushed (sweet or red)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- In pan, brown chops both sides in oil then transfer to crockpot.
- Add garlic to drippings in pan, cook and stir about 1 min or until golden brown.
- Stir in soy sauce, broth, brown sugar, pepper flakes and cook and stir until dissolved.
- Pour over chops, cover& cook 7-8 hours on low heat.
- Remove chops.
- Combine corn starch& cold water until smooth and stir into slow cooker.
- Return chops, cover, set to high heat and cook for 20 minutes.
- Serve over white rice or with a boxed oriental style rice.
I make these chops alot. The 1/4 cup crushed chili flakes is an error. It's supposed to be 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes. We call these San Francisco Chops. I got this recipe from TOH Slow Cooker Favorites cookbook and the recipe is the same except for the amount of chili flakes (no one could eat 1/4 cup!) and the cold water should be at the bottom of the recipe, with the cornstarch. I fixed the original recipe here to include these changes.
Wow!!! These were delicious!!!! I added some sliced onions and more garlic. Also doubled the sauce cuz I had 7 pork chops. I was worried that this wasn't gonna turn out. All the good reviews and there has been many times when I am the one that doesn't like it. Very glad I tried it! First time I have ever done pork chops in the crockpot. It is kind of like chicken adobo, which we love. The soy and the brown sugar really balance each other out. Didn't get too much heat from the red pepper. We ate it with white rice and broccoli. We did add siraccha for some heat. This didn't thicken up for me in the crockpot and by putting it on high for the last 30 min I think it dried it out a little bit. 30 minutes earlier they were more succulent. I even tried taking the lid off to get it to thicken. Next time I will take the liquid out and thicken over the stove. I totally forgot to take a pic. Will do it tomorrow with the leftovers. I will definitely be making this again! Thanks!!!!
I thought this was very flavorful and came out tender, though it got a lukewarm reaction from my husband. I think I would have been better off not to thicken the sauce. I think I over cooked the sauce in the process of thickening it, and it seemed to lose flavor. <br/><br/>I should also note that this took only about 4.5 hours to cook in my Deni 6 qt slow cooker, and I opened the cooker once to turn the meat.