Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is a easy, delicious meat loaf. After a hard day's work, dinner is done.
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup, divided
- 3⁄4 cup crushed butter flavored cracker
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- Place the potatoes ina 3 1/2 quart or larger slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, sausage, onion, 3/4 cup ketchup, the cracker crumbs, eggs and salt; mix well.
- Place over the potatoes and pat down to form a loaf.
- In the same bowl, combine the brown sugar, mustard, and the remaining 3/4 cup ketchup; mix well.
- Spread over the top of the loaf, cover, and cook on low setting for 6-10 hours.
- Drain off the excess liquid and serve.
This is such a great basic recipe that can be customized to a families particular tastes. The only 2 things that were negative (and they weren't major). One was that the meatloaf was too moist and fell apart. (Maybe more cracker crumbs or less ketchup or leaner meat?) There wasn't nearly enough potatoes for everyone considering there was 2-1/2 pounds of meat. I would definetely double or maybe even triple the amount of potatoes. Otherwise I really liked it. Especially when I used seasoned salt and garlic on the potatoes after retrieving them. Thanks Melanie for sharing.