Prep 2 hrs
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
Sourced from Super Food Ideas magazine. We made changes to the original to suit our tastes, what we had in the freezer, and the way we like to cook a roast.
- 1 1⁄2 kg beef roast (topside, rolled, etc)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Process seeds and bay leaves in a small processor or spice grinder until a medium fine mixture forms. (Fairly fine but still with a few lumpy bits). Season with salt and pepper. Stir in paprika.
- Rub beef with olive oil and coat with spice mixture. Cover and put in the fridge for 2-3hrs. (You could use the beef straight away but we like to let the flavours penetrate.) Remove beef from fridge about 1/2hr before cooking to let it warm up.
- Preheat oven to 200deg C (fan forced).
- Put beef in oven in a baking dish that you can cover with a lid.
- After 20 mins drop oven temperature to 140degC and cover beef. Cook for 3hours. After about 1hr we usually add ~1 cup water to the pan and turn the meat. Check again at 2hrs, turn and baste meat and add more water if necessary.
- After cooking time remove roast from pan, wrap in foil and rest for ~1/2 hour before carving.
- To make Chilli Sauce put all ingredients in a bowl and mix well to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Best done early so it has time for the dried herbs to infuse and absorb some moisture.
- Slice beef and drizzle with chilli sauce.