Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A magazine find that I plan to try soon. Our lamb shanks vary a lot in size, so you may need to serve 2 sometimes.
- 8 lamb shanks
- 2 tablespoons seasoned flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, finely chopped
- 400 g brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to moderately slow (160c).
- Toss lamb shanks in seasoned flour, heat oil in a large saucepan and brown shanks in batches for 4-5 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a plate.
- Saute onion, carrot, celery and chili in same pan for 4-5 minutes until onion is tender. Stir through lentils, tomatoes water, wine and vinegar and bring to the boil.
- Place the lamb and sauce mixture into a large oven proof casserole dish; bake covered, stirring a couple of times for 1 1/2 hours.
- Uncover and cook a further hour or until meat is almost falling off the bone.
- Stir parsley through and serve over mashed potatoes with green vegetables if desired.
I scaled this back for 2 serves using 3 large lamb shanks weighing about 500 grams each (not frenched though), though I put more carrots, celery and onions than was called for and then did the initial 2 hours at 150C fan forced and at that point needed to add about 1/2 cup water when I took the lid off as the lamb was very tender then and then after 1/2 hour with lid off I removed from the oven as the gravy/vegetable mix was extremely thick and luscious and the meat was falling of the bones and I just left it on the stove top with the lid on to keep warm as I made up the rest of dinner. As I was serving the DM declared she was not hungry so I just told her to eat what she could, well she gobbled up the sides (Fast and Easy Paprika Potatoes), all the gravy/vegetables I poured over the lamb shanks and there was plenty and nearly half her lamb and asked for the left overs for lunch, the gravy/vegetable component could almost be a dish by itself, wonderful flavours. Thank you Jan, made for Make My Recipe - Edition 15.
I loved the sound of this but the end result didn't really reach my expectations unfortunately Jan, we liked it but didn't love it, the sauce needed something extra for us but it was very hearty and liked the fact that it's basically a meal in one pan.
5 Stars for yum! For some reason this took 4 hrs start to finish because the lentils just didn't want to cook through and I did need to add more liquid a couple of times. I was very surprised as they are usually so quick to cook. That said this was worth waiting for, DH and I had no problem dispatching a large lamb shank each. As Pat did, I used more of the veggies than ask for (at lease twice as much). I served just a side salad to go along with as I didn't think we needed spuds with the lentils. Dee-licious :D