1/1 Photo of Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks in Red Wine
3 hrs 20 mins
My slightly varied version of Gary Rhodes delicious Lamb Shank recipe. Truly mouth-watering moist and tender! I’ve made this a few times now. The first time I made this I used a medium bodied wine and it turned out just as fantastic. If you want to make this exactly like Gary’s then only use 1 carrot, 2 cloves garlic, 1 sprig of rosemary, do all the stovetop and oven cooking in large stew pan or dutch oven, use beef consommé instead of beef stock and the thickening of the red wine sauce is optional. This is a truly wonderful meal and worthy of a dinner party, special occasion or just a romantic meal. I hope you like it as much as we do.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 325 F degrees.
- 2Season the lamb shanks with salt and pepper.
- 3In a large frying pan brown the lamb shanks on all sides in the olive oil; remove from pan and put into a large casserole dish to keep warm.
- 4In the same frying pan put in the carrots, onions, garlic, bay leaves and rosemary and cook slowly until nicely colored.
- 5Pour in the red wine, beef stock, and brown sugar into the frying pan and stir gently bringing it to a low boil.
- 6Pour the wine mixture over the lamb shanks; top up with water if needed.
- 7Cover; put in oven and cook for 2 1/2 – 3 hours until very tender.
- 8Remove the lamb shanks and keep warm and skim the fat off the top of the red wine juices.
- 9Mix together the cornflour with just a bit of cold water and whisk the cornflour mixture into the red wine juices until desired consistency.
- 10Serve up on individual plates and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks in Red Wine
Serving Size: 1 (1057 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1741.9
- Calories from Fat 765
- Total Fat 85.0 g
- Saturated Fat 34.7 g
- Cholesterol 612.0 mg
- Sodium 923.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 181.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: