Recipe by amber52
Slow Cooked Korean-Style Short Rib Soup add thickener to get a sauce instead of a soup
- 12 english-cut beef short ribs (about 6 pounds)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons korean red chili paste or 2 tablespoons sambal oelek, for serving
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil (toasted)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 bunch scallion, thinly sliced (white and green parts, separated)
Noodles and Garnishes
- 10 -12 ounces medium-thick rice noodles (rice sticks or jantaboon)
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 1 small kirby cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf, torn
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove any silver skin from the surface of the short ribs, and then make 2 cuts across the grain, through the meat down to the bone. (See how-to photo.) Put the ribs in the slow cooker.
- Whisk together the broth, soy, sugar, ginger, chili paste, sesame oil, garlic, and scallion whites. Pour over the ribs. Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, put the rice noodles in a bowl with hot water to cover. Soak until tender and pliable, about 30 minutes.
- Skim any fat that may collect on top of the beef broth and discard.
- Divide the noodles among 6 large shallow bowls and ladle the broth over top. (Cut the meat from the ribs if desired.) Divide the meat evenly among the bowls. Garnish as desired with the carrots, cucumber, cilantro, lime and the remaining green parts of the scallion and more chili paste, if desired.